Skip to main content

The Map from Here to There by Emery Lord

It's senior year, and Paige Hancock is finally living her best life. She has a fun summer job, great friends, and a super charming boyfriend who totally gets her. But senior year also means big decisions. 

Feeling the weight of 'the rest of her life' Paige starts to panic. Everything is exactly how she always wanted it to be - how can she leave it all behind next year? In her head, she knows there is so much more to life after high school. But in her heart, is it so terrible to want everything to stay the same forever? 


Gahhh... I wanted to love this book, I really really did. I am a huge fan of Emery Lord's other novels; The Names They Gave Us and When We Collided, so I went into this book with super high expectations, which possibly could have been why I didn't love this book as much as I think I should have. I did enjoy it, but its just not my favourite YA novel. 

Paige was a really great main character, and the friendships in the story were crafted perfectly! There were such beautiful moments between Paige and her parents and her sister which was also fantastic. It is always wonderful when parents are present in YA books. I didn't realise that this is the sequel to The Start of Me and You so maybe if I had read it first (You don't need to!), I would have found myself more invested in Paige and Max's relationship . Max was a nice guy, but he didn't make me swoon!!! The only time I really admired Max was when he quoted Mr. Darcy! When I am reading a book with a big romance component - I need a swoonworthy male character! There was too much drama between Max and Paige which made me roll my eyes and want to pull my hair out. But their relationship was quite realistic for 17 year olds which was really great. 

I was so excited to read a book where anxiety was a big part of the main character's life. There needs to be more books that discuss mental health disorders! I personally just found it a bit frustrating that Paige didn't share her struggles with her friends, family and boyfriend sooner as that would have been a fantastic way to help reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues. It also could have inspired other people who were struggling, to get help. Saying that though, this is a perfect example of what happens when anxiety spirals out of your control and why you should talk about your emotions with people you trust. This will sound silly, but I actually would have appreciated if Paige's anxiety became even more severe, so that the readers could understand how life-altering mental health issues can be. 

Don't get me wrong! I did enjoy this book, and I really loved some of the relationships, and the mental health aspect. Paige is a very relatable character, and everyone who has been through high school will understand her struggles! 3/5 stars

Comments

  1. If quoting Mr Darcy doesn't help with liking character then we have a little problem. It's a shame that you didn't enjoy this book as much as you expected. I haven't read any book from Emery Lord yet but I have The Names They Gave Us and When We Collided on my shelf sp probably will start with them. Grate review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sparrow Alone by Mim Eichmann

  1890's Colorado. Desperate following her mother's sudden death, thirteen-year-old Hannah Owens apprentices as domestic help with a wealthy doctor's family in Colorado Springs. When the doctor declares bankruptcy and abandons his family to finance his mistress Pearl DeVere's brothel, however, Hannah is thrown into a vortex of gold mining bonanzas and busts, rampant prostitution, and the economic, political and cultural upheavals of the era. Two of Cripple Creek's most colorful historic characters, Winfield Scott Stratton, eccentric owner of the richest gold mine in Cripple Creek, and Pearl DeVere, the beautiful madam of The Old Homestead, come to life as this old-fashioned, coming-of-age saga unfolds, the first of two historical fiction novels by debut author Mim Eichmann -- a tribute to the women who set the stage for women's rights. I love nothing more than curling up on the couch on a rainy day, and being transported to another time in history, which is exa

The Silk House by Kayte Nunn

Australian history teacher Thea Rust arrives at an exclusive boarding school in the British countryside only to find that she is to look after the first intake of girls in its 150-year history. She is to stay with them in Silk House, a building with a long and troubled past, where the shadows hide more mysteries than she could ever imagine. In the late 1700s, Rowan Caswell leaves her village to work in the home of an English silk merchant. She is thrust into a new and dangerous world where her talent for herbs and healing soon attracts attention. In London, Mary-Louise Stephenson lives amid the clatter of the weaving trade and dreams of becoming a silk designer, a job that is the domain of men. Arriving in the market town of Oxleigh, she brings with her a length of fabric woven with a pattern of deadly plants that will have far-reaching consequences for all who dwell in the silk house.            The Silk House  was such a gorgeous story, and I was so blessed to receive an ARC

Alice-Miranda at Camp by Jacqueline Harvey

An exciting announcement has been made and Alice-Miranda and her schoolmates are going on camp. There are sleep outs, treasure hunts and so many other activities to look forward to! However, it's not all fun and games.  Alice-Miranda and Millie will need to keep a close eye on Caprice, the school's newest student, who seems determined to cause trouble.  Next door to the camp is Pelham Park, where Alice-Miranda's father, Hugh, grew up. These days, Hugh's beautiful old house serves as a retirement home but when some startling objects are uncovered in its cellar, the peaceful estate is turned upside down. With help from a much-loved relative, Alice-Miranda sets out to investigate.                      Alice-Miranda and her schoolmates are going on camp, there are sleep outs, treasure hunts and other fun activities..... and of course there is a mystery waiting to be solved! The Alice-Miranda series has been a favourite of mine since I was a little girl, and even though this